Typing in values instead of dialling

A place for feature requests and enhancements
barton

Typing in values instead of dialling

Postby barton » Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:28 pm

Hi - just getting a chance to try out OE again. Now using 1.1.400

Really pleased to see an Arranger module, and I want to use it to generate the kind of arrangements that are just too fiddly on the OT itself. But it's one of several places within OE where I don't get why rotary knobs are the interface. For example - setting Offset and Length - awkward and time consuming to do with mouse. Typing in boxes would be great (as you have it for when setting tempo). Tab to move to next box would be even better.

Pattern , Rep, offset, length, transpose - the user knows the values they want to plug in there, so a rotary is just extra work trying to get it to sit on a specific value. One digit out and the timing (or tuning) is off

I'm noticing rotaries are in quite a few places where direct entry would make things easier. Like in the Midi channels box in Project module (and shouldn't those knobs be labelled Track 01, Track 02 etc. rather than Ch?).

Mixer type variables (gain, levels etc.) - sure rotaries are good there, plus the graphic feedback from a rotary is useful in that context too. Great choice for the LFO designer also - really nice using rotaries on that. But channels, timings, offsets, transpose - direct entry text boxes would suit me so much better.

Cheers,
barton

Rusty
Site Admin

Re: Typing in values instead of dialling

Postby Rusty » Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:23 am

Hi Barton,

I've got a bunch of thoughts / comments on this; but I just don't have the time to full respond right now.

I'll write a detailed response over the next couple of days.

Thanks,
Rusty
Likes kittens, dislikes the giant ball of fire in the sky and knows for a fact that there is a rabbit in the moon.

barton

Re: Typing in values instead of dialling

Postby barton » Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:15 pm

Yes of course. No problem at all :)

oh and no hurry - not an urgent request or anything