Chainer - Evenly spaced samples for slicing

A place for feature requests and enhancements
brassmonkey

Chainer - Evenly spaced samples for slicing

Postby brassmonkey » Sun May 14, 2017 7:00 am

Is there anyway to import a bunch of samples, then export so that there is even space between each sample. So that when you put the sample into the Octatrack and add slices by 8/16/24/32/64 or whatever, they are evenly spaced out? If not maybe this could be a request.

I might be missing something here. I've just had a look through the forum this morning regarding the Chainer app, read the manual and watched the YouTube clip, but didn't see it mentioned.

I just remember when I first got into making chains years ago I did this manually. Would be awesome to save the hassle of manually creating the slice points.

Sorry in advanced if this has already been discussed as I couldn't find anything. :D

Rusty
Site Admin

Re: Chainer - Evenly spaced samples for slicing

Postby Rusty » Sun May 14, 2017 8:30 am

brassmonkey wrote:Is there anyway to import a bunch of samples, then export so that there is even space between each sample. So that when you put the sample into the Octatrack and add slices by 8/16/24/32/64 or whatever, they are evenly spaced out? If not maybe this could be a request.

I might be missing something here. I've just had a look through the forum this morning regarding the Chainer app, read the manual and watched the YouTube clip, but didn't see it mentioned.

I just remember when I first got into making chains years ago I did this manually. Would be awesome to save the hassle of manually creating the slice points.

Sorry in advanced if this has already been discussed as I couldn't find anything. :D

Not at the moment.

The Chainer automatically appends the provided files together into one single file, and creates a matching OT settings file.

When this is imported into the Project [ Add to Slot ] or loaded into the Octatrack; the slices are already aligned and can be played back by Slice Number. [ Playback -> Setup -> Slice [Param B] = On ]

In other words, you don't need to slice up the sample chain; as the slices have already been created.

Amongst other things; I'm currently doing an overhaul / review of the Chainer module for v1.2.000

I may add in some additional functionality like a 'Grid' mode where it will create slient gaps in the resultant audio chain file to have it in a grid format; naturally that invloves creating silence and juggling the audio data in memory and extending the resulting file size based on the smallest "actual" chunk of audio data.
Likes kittens, dislikes the giant ball of fire in the sky and knows for a fact that there is a rabbit in the moon.

brassmonkey

Postby brassmonkey » Sun May 14, 2017 11:41 am

No worries Rusty, that sounds great. I didn't realise it created a settings file to go along with the start/end points of each sample. I will have a play around with that too :D

Rusty
Site Admin

Postby Rusty » Mon May 15, 2017 5:10 am

brassmonkey wrote:No worries Rusty, that sounds great. I didn't realise it created a settings file to go along with the start/end points of each sample. I will have a play around with that too :D

Thats its raison d'être :cloud:
Likes kittens, dislikes the giant ball of fire in the sky and knows for a fact that there is a rabbit in the moon.