1st time using. Set won't verify. Deleted all illegal chars in one project and still not passing.

A dark scary place for creepy crawlies.
Martinukai
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun May 21, 2017 8:20 pm

1st time using. Set won't verify. Deleted all illegal chars in one project and still not passing.

Postby Martinukai » Sun May 21, 2017 8:27 pm

Module: None
Issue: Set not verifying despite correct characters in one test project
Operating System: OSX El Capitan
Octatrack Version: 1.25H
Details: 1st time trying to open a set. Please see log of errors below. The set 'TR8' has all samples deleted and only Octatrack native .strd and .work files within it, all named with standard lettering, no illegal chars, and it still does not pass: "Project 'TR8' can not be loaded as the Project contains Sample Names with illegal characters."



OctaEdit Error Log.
-------------------------
Build Version: v1.1.001
Date: 2017 4 21
Time: 9:22:30pm
-------------------------
Error: None
Title:
Process: Unknown
Description: ---
-------------------------
Details:
Verifying Set 'MY 1st SET' which contains 7 Projects [ /Volumes/MARTATRAK/MY 1st SET ]
Project 'ANTICS' can not be loaded as the Project contains Sample Names with illegal characters.
Project 'BUTLAN before Antics' can not be loaded as the Project contains Sample Names with illegal characters.
Project 'DOME' can not be loaded as the Project contains Sample Names with illegal characters.
Project 'FREDS' can not be loaded as the Project contains Sample Names with illegal characters.
Project 'CLOCKWORKS' can not be loaded as the Project contains Sample Names with illegal characters.
Project 'STC CLASSROOM 2015' can not be loaded as the Project contains Sample Names with illegal characters.
Project 'TR8' can not be loaded as the Project contains Sample Names with illegal characters.
-------------------------




Many thanks!

User avatar
Rusty
Site Admin
Posts: 781
Joined: Tue May 26, 2015 4:40 am

Re: 1st time using. Set won't verify. Deleted all illegal chars in one project and still not passing.

Postby Rusty » Sun May 21, 2017 11:41 pm

Hi,

Martinukai wrote:Module: None
Issue: Set not verifying despite correct characters in one test project
Operating System: OSX El Capitan
Octatrack Version: 1.25H
Details: 1st time trying to open a set. Please see log of errors below. The set 'TR8' has all samples deleted and only Octatrack native .strd and .work files within it, all named with standard lettering, no illegal chars, and it still does not pass: "Project 'TR8' can not be loaded as the Project contains Sample Names with illegal characters."


Illegal characters are essentially non UTF-8 characters; e.g.:

- Illégal.wav : Because of: é
- NaÜghty.wav : Because of: Ü

When you say you deleted all samples; did you just delete the physical files? Or did you clear all the slots?

OctaEdit is not looking at the physical file names at this point; but is reading the Projects to see the references to the various audio files.

So if you had 'Flex001 : Illégal.wav'; then just deleting the physical audio file will not resolve the issue, as the Project is still referencing that file.

You need to adjust the project and sample first, probably best on the Octatrack, before hand.

You should be able to resolve by doing these steps... But please make sure you take a backup of your Set/Project first just in case.

- On the Octatrack, go to the Sample, then into the Sample Editor [Function + Edit]
- Go to the File page [Effect 2 / File]
- Select [Save and Assign Sample]
- Give it a new name without illegal characters, e.g. from illégal.wav to illegal.wav
- Press [Enter]
- A menu will pop up, use the [Assign to Self] option.
- Rinse/Repeat
Likes kittens, dislikes the giant ball of fire in the sky and knows for a fact that there is a rabbit in the moon.

Martinukai
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun May 21, 2017 8:20 pm

Re: 1st time using. Set won't verify. Deleted all illegal chars in one project and still not passing.

Postby Martinukai » Mon May 22, 2017 1:09 am

Thanks for the response.


What I meant was, to test, I completely deleted all samples in the project 'TR8', and saved the project on the Octatrack. The only files left within that project were the Octatrack .work and .strd files. No illegal characters whatsoever within that project. Then I connected the Octatrack via USB to my laptop, fired up Octaedit and tried again to "open set" and still got the same error for that 'TR8' set.

User avatar
Rusty
Site Admin
Posts: 781
Joined: Tue May 26, 2015 4:40 am

Re: 1st time using. Set won't verify. Deleted all illegal chars in one project and still not passing.

Postby Rusty » Mon May 22, 2017 1:12 am

Martinukai wrote:What I meant was, to test, I completely deleted all samples in the project 'TR8', and saved the project on the Octatrack. The only files left within that project were the Octatrack .work and .strd files. No illegal characters whatsoever within that project. Then I connected the Octatrack via USB to my laptop, fired up Octaedit and tried again to "open set" and still got the same error for that 'TR8' set.


Ah, thats weird. Because it should just be checking the slots at that point in time... so either its not reading it correctly; or there is something left lingering there from the Octatrack... hmmm..

Would you be able to send me the project files so I can have a quick look and see if anything jumps out at me?
Likes kittens, dislikes the giant ball of fire in the sky and knows for a fact that there is a rabbit in the moon.

Martinukai
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun May 21, 2017 8:20 pm

Re: 1st time using. Set won't verify. Deleted all illegal chars in one project and still not passing.

Postby Martinukai » Mon May 22, 2017 1:19 am

Sure, here you go.
Attachments
TR8.zip
Project File
(195.45 KiB) Downloaded 13 times

Martinukai
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun May 21, 2017 8:20 pm

Re: 1st time using. Set won't verify. Deleted all illegal chars in one project and still not passing.

Postby Martinukai » Mon May 22, 2017 1:23 am

A possible reason for this could be that, at one point a few months back, I had a bit of a malfunction with the card on the OT when it was connected to mac doing a backup. All the audio in my main audio folder was deleted, and in the projects where there were links to those now missing files there appears the message 'ERROR: 'FILE NOT FOUND'.

User avatar
Rusty
Site Admin
Posts: 781
Joined: Tue May 26, 2015 4:40 am

Re: 1st time using. Set won't verify. Deleted all illegal chars in one project and still not passing.

Postby Rusty » Mon May 22, 2017 1:30 am

Martinukai wrote:Sure, here you go.


Check Slot Static005; currently used \TR8\æ.wav

i.e. an æsc character. Maybe rename that one to ae.wav ?
Likes kittens, dislikes the giant ball of fire in the sky and knows for a fact that there is a rabbit in the moon.

Martinukai
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun May 21, 2017 8:20 pm

Re: 1st time using. Set won't verify. Deleted all illegal chars in one project and still not passing.

Postby Martinukai » Mon May 22, 2017 1:39 am

Yes, that's done the trick for the TR8 set.

I'll use the same principle to tackle the others now.

Thanks for your patience and help, Rusty :)

User avatar
Rusty
Site Admin
Posts: 781
Joined: Tue May 26, 2015 4:40 am

Re: 1st time using. Set won't verify. Deleted all illegal chars in one project and still not passing.

Postby Rusty » Mon May 22, 2017 1:42 am

Martinukai wrote:Yes, that's done the trick for the TR8 set.

I'll use the same principle to tackle the others now.


Awesome. It's best to only use UTF-8 characters regardless of software / hardware; that way you know patches / names / files will work on all OS's, languges and hardware.

Martinukai wrote:Thanks for your patience and help, Rusty :)


Thats what I'm here for :cloud:
Likes kittens, dislikes the giant ball of fire in the sky and knows for a fact that there is a rabbit in the moon.

mchanger
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:52 pm

Re: 1st time using. Set won't verify. Deleted all illegal chars in one project and still not passing.

Postby mchanger » Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:03 pm

I am having the same problem. I understand the problem, but I would love to know how you figured out what file was giving the error.

As the "Analytics" doesn't tell me which file has illegal characters. Just tells me a file is invalid.

I have manually gone through all the files.. The only 'illegal' character I can think of, is the files with '.clip.wav' at the end.